So, finally here it is, the first piece translated from our new TWW textdump. In an attempt to keep it chronological this time, I start with the intro legend:
人々に語り継がれる神話の中に こんな話が あります。
Among the myths passed down by the people, there is the following story.
This is but one of the legends of which the people speak?
Long ago, there existed a kingdom where the power of the gods was said to sleep.
Long ago, there existed a kingdom where a golden power lay hidden.
That country was a fair place rich in green.
It was a prosperous land blessed with green forests, tall mountains, and peace.
悪しき者に 目をつけられ 神々の力を 奪われてしまいました。
But an evil one coveted and then took the power of the gods.
But one day a man of great evil found the golden power and took it for himself?
Through evil forces, he covered the kingdom with darkness.
With its strength at his command, he spread darkness across the kingdom.
At the time when the hour of doom seemed at hand?
But then, when all hope had died, and the hour of doom seemed at hand?
緑衣を身にまとった若者が 何処からともなく 現れました。
?a youth clothed in green appeared as if from nowhere.
?a young boy clothed in green appeared as if from nowhere.
若者は 退魔の剣をふるい 悪しき者を封じ 王国に 光を取り戻したといいます。
Wielding the blade of demons' bane and sealing the evil one away, the youth is said to have restored light to the kingdom.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light.
時を越えてあらわれた若者を 民は「時の勇者」と呼び 称えました
Having emerged by crossing time, the youth was praisingly called "Hero of Time" by the people.
This boy, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Time.
若者の話は、言の葉で語り継がれ やがて 伝説となった頃?
The youth's tale was passed down, and at length, when it became legend?
The boy's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend?
Again, a calamitous storm began to blow across the kingdom.
But then?a day came when a fell wind began to blow across the kingdom.
勇者により 封じられたかに見えた あの悪しき者が
The evil one who seemed to have been sealed away by the hero?
The great evil that all thought had been forever sealed away by the hero?
?crept forth from the depths of the earth.
?once again crept forth from the depths of the earth, eager to resume its dark designs.
王国の民は、時の勇者が 再び 現れてくれると信じていました。
The people of the kingdom believed that the Hero of Time would appear a second time.
The people believed that the Hero of Time would again come to save them.
しかし? 勇者が 現れることはありませんでした。
But? the hero did not appear.
?But the hero did not appear.
邪悪な力を 前にした彼らは なすすべもなく ただ祈るばかり
Faced by evil forces, they were at their wit's end, all they could do was pray.
Faced by an onslaught of evil, the people could do nothing but appeal to the gods.
Finally, they decided to entrust their fate to the gods themselves.
In their last hour, as doom drew nigh, they left their future in the hands of fate.
その後 王国が どうなったのか? 知るものはいません。
What became of that kingdom afterwards?? None remain who know.
What became of that kingdom?? None remain who know.
国の記憶は 消えようとも 伝説は風に乗り 今も息づいています。
Even though the memory of the kingdom vanished, its legend survived blowing in the wind.
The memory of the kingdom vanished, but its legend survived on the wind's breath.
ある島では 男の子が大きくなると 緑の衣を着せ、祝う風習があります。
On a certain island, there is a custom when boys grow up to dress them in green clothes and celebrate them.
On a certain island, it became customary to garb boys in green when they came of age.
草原にわたる 新緑の風を 心にまとい 旋風のごとく 剣をうならせ「闇」を絶つ あの伝説の若者のように 勇気を知る者になれと 願いをこめ?
Clothed in the spirit of the verdurous wind that sweeps the fields, whirring swords like a whirlwind to suppress "darkness", they are requested to become adepts at courage like that youth of legend?
Clothed in the green of fields, they aspired to find heroic blades and cast down evil. The elders wished only for the youths to know courage like the hero of legend?
- The line "kingdom where the power of the gods was said to sleep" is the same as used by Zelda in TP. Later on in TWW, it reappears in the King's speech to Zelda.
The Japanese didn't carry over "golden power" from ALttP but went with "power of the gods" throughout.
- To whom it may concern: No mention of forests and mountains.
- OoT Link is correctly described as a youth or young man.
- It says he emerged by crossing time, probably referring to his absence for seven years.
- It is suggested the title "Hero of Time" was coined by the Hyrulians, although that seems to conflict with that title being known to Sheik and Kaepora long before the end of OoT.
- "Calamitous storm" is quite reminiscent of ALttP, where the Great Catastrophe is near and an evil air blows from the mountains.
- I'm not sure whether "grow up" is all that different from "come of age", but I think the former makes more sense in regard to a 12-year old.
- I had to throw the last two lines together because in Japanese those are either two grammatically incorrect half-sentences, or a long correct one. For some reason, it's unusually detailed for a Japanese sentence, even using such highly metaphorical words like "verdurous", which in fact explains the green colour choice for the Wind Element in TMC, and its similarity to the Deku Tree symbol. Apparently, wind and plant-life automatically have a connection in Zelda (seen again in the airborne Korogs, and Makar's being the Sage of Wind).
- I can only guess why "darkness" was put in quotation marks. Maybe to imply that to the people on the Great Sea, the symbolical connection between darkness and evil wasn't so obvious anymore?
- Hmm, the expression 勇気を知る者 (one who knows courage) totally reminds me of ALttP's 勇気を鍛える者 (one who trains/tempers courage)... In TWW it undoubtedly describes the hero, so wouldn't it make sense for the three titles in ALttP's manual to describe an evil one, a hero, and a wise one, respectively, as well? I feel that a re-translation of said paragraph is inevitable for me!^^