As was to be expected, there are a couple of differences between the English and Japanese versions.
1st line: original Japanese
2nd line: translated Japanese
3rd line: NoA translation
So, here goes:
The goddesses descended to the world of chaos where there was nothing at all, and created life and order.
When all was chaos, the goddesses descended and gave order and life to the world.
And after granting power equally to all people, they returned to the heavens.
They granted power equally to all who dwelt in the light, and then returned to the heavens.
The place where the goddesses first landed is called the holy land.
The lands where the goddesses descended came to be known as the Sacred Realm.
For a long time, the world was at peace, with people's hearts being deeply faithful…
For ages, the people lived at ease, content in mind and body…
But at length, a rivalry ensued over Hyrule, the holy land.
But soon, word of the Sacred Realm spread through Hyrule, and a great battle ensued…
In the midst of the people, persons who excelled at magic appeared.
Among those living in the light, interlopers who excelled at magic appeared.
With powerful sorcery, they tried to rule the holy land.
Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm.
But the goddesses sent us light spirits to seal away the gigantic magic of those people.
It was then that the goddesses ordered us three light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered.
And that very sorcery is the black power… the Crystal Stone of Shadow.
You know this magic… It is the dark power you seek…the Fused Shadow.
- The goddesses granted power equally to all people, not to "all who dwelt in the light".
- Where English just speaks about the people being content, Japanese says their peace was due to them being deeply religious.
- In a most tricky sentence, there is no "word of" the Sacred Realm spreading at all. Although 聖地 is also the Japanese name of the SR, it literally means "sacred/holy land", which here (and throughout TP) is given as a description of Hyrule instead. The great battle is specifically a rivalry, so accordingly, what NoA translated as "through Hyrule" should better be "over Hyrule". So it was a rivalry over the holy land that is Hyrule.
Regardless though, I still maintain that this rivalry is the same war spoken of in OoT and ALttP. The fact remains unchanged that the Triforce is shown in the cutscene as the thing the magic users were after. Just that they coveted it to rule Hyrule.
Also, Lanayru explains that Hyrule is called the holy land because it was there that the Goddesses touched ground. And what did OoT say? The place where the Goddesses left the Triforce came to be known as the holy land. (That's my re-translation right here.)
- The word "interlopers" (or anything comparable) does not occur, neither does "living in the light".
- In context, the emergence of the persons excelling at magic is to be understood as the cause of the war.
- Japanese explains the Fused Shadow slightly better: it is a stone of crystallized shadows.
- Lanayru doesn't mention that Link/Midna seek this power.
Alright Fierce Deity Link, here are the results for "hero". I don't list every single quote though, most of them just mention the Hero's Bow.
Note that the choice of article before the word hero ("the" or "a") is based on mere guesswork. There are no such articles in Japanese, thus it must not be taken into consideration whether in the English version they put "a hero" or "the Hero" - it's the same.
It is assumed that in former times, these clothes were worn by the hero of legend who saved Hyrule from a crisis.
You've obtained the hero's bow! The hero of old left it behind, and it is passed on as a treasure in the Goron tribe.
hero chosen by the gods
In my world, it was believed that the hero will appear as a divine beast.
In his lifetime, my husband made clothes for the hero housing the power of the Zoras.
The power necessary to be the hero is already provided sufficiently in you.
But I only accept to be succeeded by one who has the spirit of the sublime beast and who is a blood relative of the hero.
While I took up life as the hero and regretted that I wasn't able to pass it on to posterity, I've finally been able to clear my matters.
Edited by Jumbie, 05 May 2008 - 03:13 PM.