#32 joeymartin64

joeymartin64

Optimistic Cynic

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • United States

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

Assuming Earth-like physics are in play

And why would we assume that? You can't just brush aside suppositions that explicitly hinge on magic and supernatural origin because Earth-like physics would cause them to not work/have unmentioned effects.

#33 MikePetersSucks

MikePetersSucks

Actual Japanese Person

• ZL Staff
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

I'm not really assuming it, pay attention. :P I'm just saying if we do, holy shit that's an incredibly fucked up bucket of side effects.

And I personally like to think Hyrule is physics-compliant unless it's obviously magical, because Nayru's contribution WAS physics and the sciences and such.

#34 joeymartin64

joeymartin64

Optimistic Cynic

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • United States

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

Fair enough. The flood was obviously magical, though, and I'm more than willing to assume that whoever enacted the flood (be that the Golden Trio or Hylia like we were tossing around a while back) would take some sort of precaution (also magical, probably) against the whole thing fucking the rest of the world over. I'm probably wandering into No Endor Holocaust territory at this point, but dammit, I like to think there's other stuff going on elsewhere in the world, and flooding unrelated lands just seems wrong if it can be avoided, which it can.

#35 MikePetersSucks

MikePetersSucks

Actual Japanese Person

• ZL Staff
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

Well, it sure seems like that flood was Global, even if it didn't kill everyone. Phantom Hourglass still exists, yo.

Even if no one died from the Flood, the complete destruction of so much history and culture is completely unjustifiable, IMO, and makes the DT the 'better timeline'.

I just really fucking hate the DT's existence and trying to find moral incongruity with it, not so much demonize the Flood.

#36 joeymartin64

joeymartin64

Optimistic Cynic

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • United States

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

All we see in Phantom Hourglass is that they were on a big stretch of ocean. That hardly means the entire world is flooded.

As for the history and culture, I think I should tread lightly there. I'm the dipshit that still thinks the flood subsides at some point, remember? In that case, I see knowledge of Old Hyrule's history and culture being brought forward by people who saw it firsthand (Deku Tree, Valoo, Jabun).

I think I see what you mean, though, and I think I remember a similar conversation shortly after the big reveal; that it's strange that the older games, and the ones that seem to lead Hyrule to its "Golden Age" only come about because the Hero of Time carks it. Doesn't seem right.

#37 MikePetersSucks

MikePetersSucks

Actual Japanese Person

• ZL Staff
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

All we see in Phantom Hourglass is that they were on a big stretch of ocean. That hardly means the entire world is flooded.

It does prove that the flood effected more than Hyrule. Obviously there's still land; New Hyrule exists; but any country that's atleast as low to the ground as Old Hyrule was seems to have been effected.

As for the history and culture, I think I should tread lightly there. I'm the dipshit that still thinks the flood subsides at some point, remember? In that case, I see knowledge of Old Hyrule's history and culture being brought forward by people who saw it firsthand (Deku Tree, Valoo, Jabun).

Yes, well, Split Timeline is canon and even if it wasn't, the Deku Tree existed in the forest, Jabu-Jabu can really only comment on Zora culture, and Valoo is a completely left-field deity.

I think I see what you mean, though, and I think I remember a similar conversation shortly after the big reveal; that it's strange that the older games, and the ones that seem to lead Hyrule to its "Golden Age" only come about because the Hero of Time carks it. Doesn't seem right.

Yea....so like, why does the Hero of Time fucking up lead to a much LESS destructive future?

#38 FŽanen

FŽanen

Timeless

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • United States

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

Yea....so like, why does the Hero of Time fucking up lead to a much LESS destructive future?

My personal theory on the topic is that the Hero of Time was meant to partially fail (Awaken the Sages and die in battle) an the other two timelines are the aberrations rather than the default courses of events. In other words, rather than something weird causing the Hero to fail, something weird caused him to succeed. Still unexplained, but it does at least give a bit more importance to the DT and older games.

#39 joeymartin64

joeymartin64

Optimistic Cynic

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • United States

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

It does prove that the flood effected more than Hyrule. Obviously there's still land; New Hyrule exists; but any country that's atleast as low to the ground as Old Hyrule was seems to have been effected.

Then Old Hyrule may simply be at a lower elevation than the area surrounding it, like we posited earlier.

Yes, well, Split Timeline is canon and even if it wasn't, the Deku Tree existed in the forest, Jabu-Jabu can really only comment on Zora culture, and Valoo is a completely left-field deity.

Yes, well, the DT is canon and some half-hearted faux-snarky retort goes here. I know. I've known for years. I just don't care. Still, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the patron deities knew about more than the places they lived; it just didn't come up all that much in-game. OoT's Deku Tree knew plenty about what was going on outside the forest, and the Spiritual Stones had been divvied out all over hell. There's obviously communication going on.

Fuckin' A, man.

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name