20 replies to this topic

#1 DarkJuno

DarkJuno

Lord of the Foys

• Moderators
  • 8,805 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

So this movie is being filmed right now, in the mdist of The Avengers' success. Not a whole lot known beyond being based on the Extremis storyline from a few years back and a couple actors hired (Ben Kingsley? I assume as a villain) and it's being filmed on-location for parts in China. Oh, and a couple pictures - spyshot of....

Posted Image

....Iron Patriot? Gwah? Well, in just as cool and less baffling pictures, officially:

Posted Image

Hall of Armor's filling up Tony. Though did he just steal War Machine back from Rhodey?

Ah well. Obviously super early to know a whole lot, but eh, nice to see Marvel's not resting on its laurels and going onw ith the cinematic universe. I'm somewhat optimisstic that they're going to keep this train going at a good quality since Thor 2 is also supposed to be filiming later this year. The television side of thigns might be a gigantic trainwreck with cancelling really good shows for new ones for the sake of it, but the movie side of things is going pretty well.

#2 JRPomazon

JRPomazon

Selfish, Arrogant Bastard

• Moderators
  • 15,280 posts
  • United States

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Jeez, this is sooner than I expected for anything regarding a Marvel movie. Still, I'm kinda excited about this movie. Iron Man is by far my favorite marvel movie series so far.

#3 Sir Turtlelot

Sir Turtlelot

Svartifeldr

• Members
  • 5,071 posts
  • Antarctica

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

I'm really liking what they are doing with the Avengers series, binding all of the separate movies together for one movie, just to let them go their own ways again, and then presumably bring them back together again later on. I look forward to all of the upcoming sequels. I also really hope that they incorporate the new Spiderman and Wolverine into the next Avengers movie.

#4 Sir Deimos

Sir Deimos

Harbinger of the Fall.

• Members
  • 10,180 posts
  • Swaziland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Unfortunately that'll never happen. A different studio owns X-Men, and Spider-Man, and I doubt they'll be letting those licenses go.

#5 Crimson Lego

Crimson Lego

Dumpling-er

• Members
  • 12,457 posts
  • Canada

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

It should be interesting how Shane Black turns out as director of this movie.

Also, Andy Lau appears as an "old friend of Tony's from China". Hmm.

#6 DarkJuno

DarkJuno

Lord of the Foys

• Moderators
  • 8,805 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hmmm...

AIM, eh? Makes a lot of sense. Plus, I can't tell if a couple of those shots of Gwyneth Paltrow are of her really on the phone or of Pepper.

And that banner with the golden Iron Man kinda does seem like Extremis, though to be fair the MKIII from the first movie was basically the Extremis armor from the comics.

#7 Oberon Storm

Oberon Storm

Are you my mummy?

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  • United States

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

That's supposedly a different paint job for War Machine and not the actual Iron Patriot.

#8 JRPomazon

JRPomazon

Selfish, Arrogant Bastard

• Moderators
  • 15,280 posts
  • United States

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

OK, so I know next to zip about Iron Man's list of villains. Are they all technological battle weapons suits or is there a little variety to be had here? Also, who could we be expecting for this movie?

#9 Sir Deimos

Sir Deimos

Harbinger of the Fall.

• Members
  • 10,180 posts
  • Swaziland

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Based on the fact that some of the filming is in China I'm guessing we're going to see Mandarin. As for his powers, well, I actually don't know much about what he can do...

#10 DarkJuno

DarkJuno

Lord of the Foys

• Moderators
  • 8,805 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

Yeah, most of Iron Man's villains are basically just other guys in armored suits (Crimson Dynamo, Titanium Man, Iron Monger) other businessmen who can hire other guys or have enough wealth to harass Iron Man (Justin Hammer) or magical guys, basically Mandarin for the obvious Technology vs Magic thing.

Also Fin Fang Fong, but I doubt they'll use him, though if they go the mystical route with The Mandarin (however they use the name) who knows - may even open the door for Dr. Strange later on.

#11 Sir Deimos

Sir Deimos

Harbinger of the Fall.

• Members
  • 10,180 posts
  • Swaziland

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

I think that (depending who heads the project) a Doctor Strange cameo to spin off movie would be wonderful.

#12 DarkJuno

DarkJuno

Lord of the Foys

• Moderators
  • 8,805 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Arise, thread, ARISE! LIVE FOR THE TEASER TRAILER.

So there ya go. Huh, maybe this time we'll actually have character growth as opposed to Iron Man 2 (Which I still liked fine, to be fair) becuase, damn that's a lot going on. Kingsley sounds kinda odd with the inflection he's using in his voice, and it kinda hurts to see the armor destroyed like that. I note that it is the Mark VIII damaged here, so I wonder if we'll also get a Mark IX by the end of the movie.

Nice nods to the Avengers, and Stark's home being destroyed seems like a way to "force" him to move into a future Avengers mansion in the rennovated Stark Tower.

Well, I'm interested.

#13 Crimson Lego

Crimson Lego

Dumpling-er

• Members
  • 12,457 posts
  • Canada

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

For me, this trailer kind of gives off TDK Rises vibe with all the suits being destroyed and it being sort of given he has to, dare I say, rise back from the disaster.

Definitely gonna aim to see this opening night.

#14 DarkJuno

DarkJuno

Lord of the Foys

• Moderators
  • 8,805 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

So, Super Bowl The Football Championship Game Trailer. Just a few snippets of footage with the Air Force One sequence, but yes, it's pretty much Robert Downey Jr. trolling. ;)

#15 Crimson Lego

Crimson Lego

Dumpling-er

• Members
  • 12,457 posts
  • Canada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Cannot wait until June for this line to come out omg

brickset.com/news/article/?ID=5713

P.S. Not sure whether anyone would consider these images to be potential spoilers but I thought I'd just add a fair warning just in case.

#16 DarkJuno

DarkJuno

Lord of the Foys

• Moderators
  • 8,805 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Trailer #2:

So yeah. Hmmm. When they started talking about drone armors I was thinking they'd all be identical, so I'm happy to see it isn't. In the last shot I see the Ultimate armor, space armor, and of course the Hulk Buster, and a bunch of others I'm sure the itnernet has already deciphered. Looking good.

#17 DarkJuno

DarkJuno

Lord of the Foys

• Moderators
  • 8,805 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

...So, anyone? Anyone!?

All right, got back, and it's a good movie. Not as good as the first, but certainly better than the second, though full disclosure, I thought the second one was still fine. It's a really logical conclusion to Iron Man's story if this is it (except we know it's not, hey there Avengers 2) and it does wrap everything up reasonably nicely, save one thing I'll go into in the spoiler section. It's definitely a bit mroe of a personal story than before, and it does a believable job of being a "small" story even after the world changing chaos of The Avengers. The references to that film and the other members of the team are also small and subtle enough to not break up the pacing or seem weird and out of place. Stark's interactions with people are great without being forced or artificial, and his quipping and random snarking/arguing with others in bad situations continues to be well done without taking you out of the movie.

Spoiler

All in all, I liked it a lot, it was awesome. Looking forward to Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Maybe or maybe not noteworthy, but this movie uses Roxxon Oil as a company just like The Amazing Spider-man. Doesn't mean anything, but Fox, Sony, and Disney all seem really weird and anal about not sharing names. If Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch show up in Avengers 2 as rumored, they cannot be refered to as mutants and can't mention their parents either.

Edited by DarkJuno, 03 May 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#18 Sir Deimos

Sir Deimos

Harbinger of the Fall.

• Members
  • 10,180 posts
  • Swaziland

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Of course I saw it last night. I get all the hate, but come on. I loved it.

My biggest disappointment was that it was a much more lighthearted film than I was hoping for. I wanted pure alcoholic Stark in all his rock bottom goodness.

Also I adored the credit cookie.

#19 Moriatti

Moriatti

Sorry kid, come back when you're evolved!

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Just got back.
Since I'm a huge nerd, this is a movie I have opinions on, so WORDS.
I'll try and put all major spoilers in tags, but... Minor ones may slip by me.

As a standalone movie
This does pretty well, with a strong theme of dependence throughout the whole thing. Stark's character works, and probably does the most growth we've seen out of him in the entire series. I thought most everything was done pretty well, especially....
Spoiler

the villains were fairly effective in this means,
Spoiler

there were some really cool set-pieces, and it was much better then the trailer led me to believe. All in all a solid movie, my only complaint being that:
Spoiler

As a franchise movie
This movie felt more personal, and even with the bombastic ending, parts of it seemed smaller. In addition, the shady government stuff is coming more and more to the forefront. This bodes well for phase 2 movies in my mind, and makes me sad we won't get a Hulk movie in this phase, as the first one fits in better here thematically.
As I said before, Tony grew a lot in this movie. It also wraps up the Iron Man set nicely, which is neat. I didn't feel like Pepper got sufficient growth, but I went over that already. Rhodes didn't really grow, but his usage played to his strengths, a nice change from the past two movies. I liked the small name drops and the nod to the Avengers event. You didn't NEED to see Avengers for these to make sense, but it certainly would enhance your experience.
Also, we got AIM, and that could mean MODOK either in future Captain America or Iron Man movies. That's something I'd like to see.

As a comic book adaptation
All spoilers, I categorized them though.

Mandarin
Spoiler

Extremis
Spoiler

Iron Patriot
Spoiler

#20 Crimson Lego

Crimson Lego

Dumpling-er

• Members
  • 12,457 posts
  • Canada

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

Watched it last night, great movie overall:

Spoiler

I'd put it about par with IM1 with the latter still being a little better.

#21 Moriatti

Moriatti

Sorry kid, come back when you're evolved!

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Leo:
Spoiler

I really loved the original Extremis story, it's been made as a motion comic on Netflix and is quite different, I'd look into it. Ellis seems pretty legit.