#1 JRPomazon

JRPomazon

Store Greeter

• Moderators
  • 15,091 posts
  • United States

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

The 8th JRPomazon Grand Tournament

Hello everyone, welcome to the main Tournament Headquarters thread! Here you can find anything from the bracket (which will be updated as time goes on) to simple chat with other members.
This is a open area for anyone to post so feel free to make yourselves at home.

Notice 12/23: The current time is 8:16 PM EST and the final round of the Grand Tournament has been closed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by JRPomazon, 24 December 2011 - 02:17 AM.

#2 Moriatti

Moriatti

Sorry kid, come back when you're evolved!

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Now that I have made a sufficient ass of myself, here's a few write ups/analysis.

Match 1: Derpy Hooves vs Rebecca Black:
Analysis: Neither are really fighters, and as such this is actually a difficult match to determine based on attitude. However, considering both to be similar, I would vote that this match ends with FRIENDSHIP. As what preteen girl would pass up the opportunity to befriend a flying pony? Since that is likely an impossibility, I’m going to give the win to DERPY HOOVES, based entirely on the fact that she(?) can fly and is also a horse.

Write Up: To say these “fighters” where underwhelming would be a vast understatement. Perhaps the organizers of this event arranged this match early, so it would be out of the way when the real talent was shown, or perhaps these two children (for neither of them could have been of age to be considered anything more) merely stumbled into the arena by accident, while it was left unattended. Part of me hoped that was the case, and that the mistake would be realized before the air of bloodthirst and pain was affected upon them any longer; for that is an acquired taste, and not one to be offered to such young ones. Regardless, they were here, and it was increasingly looking as though their fight was indeed arranged. The “combatant” from the left, a girl no older then sixteen, by her looks, took the first move, and began to sing, no doubt hoping to lull her opponent into a calmed state. However, her equally peaceful looking foe, a pale pony, with adorable wings protruding from her sides, instead took to the air, soaring around, complimenting the singing, as though it were somehow relevant. Frustrated, the singer stopped, and glared towards her skyward foe, a stare that her friends at the schoolyard would no doubt find unbearable, but that only spoke to her youth and incompetence in combat in this place. The pony, for its part, did not seem to notice such a glare, and instead altered its course towards the young woman. The speed of the Pegasus gaining, and her foe unmoving, the conclusion was forgone, decided at the same moment that the girl decided to remain still. Many in the crowd averted their eyes, and I am afraid to say that I was among them, when I looked again, there was only one fighter left standing, the horse, but to what end, I could not tell.

Match 2: Dark Claw vs Butters Stotch
Analysis: It’s matches like this that make me wonder if it was wise on my part to analyze these fights as death-matches. Still, the difference in ability, intent and power here is staggering. An obvious win for DARK CLAW if I ever saw one.

Write Up: I have never in my life seen so much blood. It was everywhere.

Match 3: The Pianta Lady vs Rangiku Matsumoto
Analysis: This is actually of marginal interest, because Piantas as a whole are known to have decent girth and strength in the Mario universe, which is already known for having a generally higher stamina then real world counterparts. That said, even mooks in Bleach are marginally ridiculous when compared to other series, and thanks too her two most noticed powers, Matsumoto bordered (borders? I haven't kept up) on being one of the show's many main characters for a while, meaning she's higher then average when it comes to Power Levels. Beyond that, Matsumoto is a sword wielder, and pointy objects are possibly the most deadly things in Mario World beyond Lava. I think it's a fair bet to say that RANGIKU MATSUMOTO wins this match.

Write up: The stage grew quiet as these fighters appeared, one was a tall, ample-breasted woman of Asian features, the other appeared to be something a child would sketch in their spare time. Still, I've learned to never underestimate fighters based on their physical appearance, and one look at that creature told of it's hidden strength. Unfortunately, whatever it might've stored up in strength didn't aide it's mental state in the slightest. It's vacant expression holding true, as it demanded from it's foe the retrieval of fruit. For her part, the other combatant seemed unaware, perhaps even uncaring of this strange creature's pleas, and with a single step, appeared to clear the distance of the arena! With such blinding speed on her side, and the warrior's blade she had drawn in her hands, the outcome of the fight was determined quickly, but I could swear I saw a moments' remorse as the swords-woman brought her blade down. Would this be important in her later fights? Only time could tell.

Match 4: Gimli vs Lady GaGa
Analysis: Gimli obviously has the edge when it comes to experience, and would appear to maintain this edge with weapons, but then we realize that Gaga's got a grinder suit, which would ruin Gimli's axe. (I know that's not how grinders work, but I need something more then DER AXE BEATS SONG) moreover, Gimli has a documented weakness for blondes, and as an honorable Dwarven Warrior, would not strike a woman lightly. Given Gaga's natural charm and proper choice of uniform, as well as her apparent kindness, this is yet another match I'd attribute to FRIENDSHIP. However, as before, that seems an impossibility. I'm going to say that GIMLI has a MARGINAL VICTORY VIA SUBDUAL.

Write up: From either side of the arena, appeared two combatants so strangely mismatched, I wondered if perhaps this was some sort of odd half-time like amusement. However, both were announced as fighters, and I was once more assured that there would be combat. The shorter of the two seemed like no stranger to war, his short, but muscular stature holding in a classical defensive stat, his iron armor worn and dinged, much like his face, which was lined as a man who has endured much stress. His opponent, however, was a young woman, who's experience in combat was doubtful beyond a few misplaced sibling tussles in her youth. This obviously shocked the Dwarf who sought to battle, as his expression and stance changed to one of surprise, and then dismay. He called to the host, asking for a different match, asking why he was to face a woman? When his desperate pleas went unanswered, he dove approached nervously, and, seeing that she held no weapon, dropped his, almost with relief. They tussled, both awkward, and unsure if this was how these fights were supposed to work. Their struggle was amusing, and gained many laughs from the crowd that had gathered to watch these proceedings (much aiding the Dwarf's growing frustration)before finally, the dwarf sat, atop his foe, fist held high. The host did not announce his victory for a few moments, and the air grew tense. The Dwarf's triumph was briefly replaced by worry, before the ending match bell was sounded. He rose from his fallen foe, helping her to her feet, and the crowd gave a cheer. The fight was over.
No one expected the incinerators, least of all the Dwarf who's mercy had been forgotten, and the lady who's life had been extinguished.

More to come?

Edited by Moriatti, 01 December 2011 - 05:07 PM.

#3 JRPomazon

JRPomazon

Store Greeter

• Moderators
  • 15,091 posts
  • United States

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

@Moriatti: I took care of the poll postings, no worries. But I am liking these write ups. I'd like to see more of them if you wouldn't mind writing them.

#4 Moriatti

Moriatti

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

Thank you! I didn't realize there was a rules thread until the Lady Gaga post.
I'll probably do them in groups of 4, as that makes them manageable and doable from work.

Just to clarify, Christopher Lee has only got his real world power of speech as opposed to his Dual Powers of Jedi and Wizardry?

#5 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

BBBFF

• Moderators
  • 2,671 posts
  • Russia

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

And being a commando during WWII ;d

#6 JRPomazon

JRPomazon

Store Greeter

• Moderators
  • 15,091 posts
  • United States

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

Thank you! I didn't realize there was a rules thread until the Lady Gaga post.
I'll probably do them in groups of 4, as that makes them manageable and doable from work.

Just to clarify, Christopher Lee has only got his real world power of speech as opposed to his Dual Powers of Jedi and Wizardry?

Unfortunately. If someone wanted to nominate Christopher Lee as a Sith Lord, he would have to Nominate Count Dooku.

On an unrelated note:

Some people might notice that the picture in the match bracket might be different from the one they used for nominations, along with extra or reduced descriptions. Yes, I have had a hand in that. Some pictures didn't work and I had to change them while some descriptions had to be altered to better describe the combatants. I apologize in case this steps on anyone's toes.

#7 Moriatti

Moriatti

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

Unfortunately. If someone wanted to nominate Christopher Lee as a Sith Lord, he would have to Nominate Count Dooku.

Oh, this bodes poorly.

#8 Veteran

Veteran

Nothing but problems, problems, problems.

• Admin
  • 10,558 posts
  • Falkland Islands

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

I knew I should've nominated two people. Poor Ryback will be out ithe first round!

#9 BurgundyTears

BurgundyTears

Assassin

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

The write-ups are great. If you need more info on the Black 13th, PM me about them~~

#10 wisp

wisp

Boobie Administrator

• Admin
  • 13,343 posts
  • South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Three people so far have voted for Bieber? Kisseena better not have two secret accounts! :P

#11 Selena

Selena

Odinsdottir

• Admin
  • 17,095 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

I'm not afraid of you, Downey. I focus on the Bieber blood in my near future. :rage:

#12 JRPomazon

JRPomazon

Store Greeter

• Moderators
  • 15,091 posts
  • United States

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

Notice: The first round will end this Saturday Night - Sunday Morning, depending what time I manage to get back on the computer and take care of it. By then, most if not all of you will have put a vote in for their choice combatants. This notice will be placed on the top entry. That is all.

#13 Kisseena

Kisseena

my lesbff

• Members
  • 8,713 posts
  • Puerto Rico

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

I'm not afraid of you, Downey. I focus on the Bieber blood in my near future. :rage:

But no one is voting for Bieber! :P
Looks like you won't get to kill him. Red gets the honor of doing so. XD

#14 tsume

tsume

ROADHOUSE!!!

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

But no one is voting for Bieber! :P
Looks like you won't get to kill him. Red gets the honor of doing so. XD

Its RED!!! Im sad someone even voted for the little girl over Red. Its a very sad day in society. :( :(

#15 Moriatti

Moriatti

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

Ok, so I have some free time right now, here are a few more analysis/write-ups:

Match 5: Scott Pilgrim vs Casey Ryback
Analysis: While the obvious winner in popularity is Scott, and, I've no doubt that many would argue the presence of flashy super-moves and flaming swords would add to Scott's arsenal, making him seem like an easy target, you have to remember that Scott has also found himself seriously weak to bigger and more muscular opponents. A great deal of his success in the latter parts of his story relies on his being able to outsmart his tougher foes. Ryback is no dummy, as an ex-seal, and more importantly, Steven Seagal movie character, Ryback has more Strength, better endurance, and a more comprehensive tactical know-how then Scott ever did. Compound this with the fact that Seagal's characters are just as inhumanly strong (if less flashy about it) as those in the Scott Pilgrim universe, and you start to realize the problem our favorite protagonist is in. A solid victory for Casey Ryback in my book.

Write up: The next fight renewed my faith in this whole event, it was the kind of fight I had come here to observe. It wasn't a mere beat-down, and it said more in it's outcome then simply who won. The combatants entered the arena, and much could be told. From one end, a man walked out, dressed largely in black and olive, colours that blended with nothing in this arena, but showed a conviction to where he had gotten them from. His gait was steady and even, his arms were tense, as if expecting a sneak attack at any moment. From the other end, a boy entered. His walk was more one of optimism, but there was a bounce to it that showed he had great combat potential, beyond his years even. The fighters stood, on opposite ends of the arena, staring each other down, and anyone who was paying attention, knew the outcome at this point, for the boy made the first move. It was a leap, his fist raised behind his head, ready to turn to a deadly blow. On another opponent, the hit may have landed, the damage may have been done, and maybe, the fight might have been over. However, the man was trained, and knew what to do against such a rash attack, his hands were like lightning, but his body only moved an inch, he turned and the boy fell. The boy quickly rose to his feet, spin-kicking as he did, and the man stepped away, once more they stared each other down, each knowing a little more, and once more the boy moved first, but this time, with a kick, which narrowly missed it's target, not for lack of skill on the boy's part, but for years of training on that of the man, who broke the leg of the boy. The boy fell, and the man readied himself for the killing blow, the moment that had been destined from the beginning. For the boy was just that, a boy. But the man, he was a killer, if not by profession, by necessity. In another world, this distinction may have lead to a very different outcome, but here, it meant that the boy would die, and the man, would move on to the next rank.

Match 6: Chikara Nadir vs Dr. Tran
Analysis: Chik is a grown woman, and Doctor Tran is a sad, confused, lone child. If Chikky were a heroic character, I might give Tran a chance based on the pitty factor, but we all know better. Chikara Nadir is clearly the winner.

Write-Up: The next match said little, but that that a child who is too young to fight, will always lose to a woman who is not. One combatant complained, whined, and even cried as the other savagely beat him. One stopped moving, the other didn't. Such was the circle of life, and such is life in this arena. Poor kid.

Match 7: The Black 13th vs Christopher Lee
Analysis: Three Mercenaries with guns and magic vs an amazing, but elderly actor from our realm. The Black 13th is the obvious choice here, and I'm sorry to poor Christopher Lee.

Write-Up: On hold for a while, until I have more info about the Black 13th.

Match 8: Jack O'Neill vs Chuck Norris
Analysis: Memetic Chuck Norris is an unbeatable fistbearded monster who is simultaneously responsible for everything good and bad within this universe. The real Chuck Norris is a sweaty, marginally talented Martial Artist who rode a wave of martial arts popularity until he washed out onto the shores of commercial land. We're dealing with the real man, and he's fighting Jack O'Neill. Not the worst character to be up against, especially not as a man. However, Jack O'Neill is much more likely then real Chuck Norris to have an assault riffle on him, and those tear through pecs, regardless of how firm and or manly. Winner is Jack O'Neill.

Write Up: Testosterone at a practical boiling point, two men appeared opposite each other. One, wearing the faded and ripped clothes of yesteryear. Holding onto a bear that was either inspired by Christ, or in spite thereof, and flexing, prepared for combat at any moment. The other, a soldier, dressed in uniform, come from a godmouth (or so it was called where I come from, he had another word for it that I did not quite catch.) They, much like the boy and the killer, sized each other up, deciding which man was the stronger and why. The soldier, satisfied that the man he was fighting did not carry firearms, unholstered his. The rugged warrior (for he was, at some level a warrior, though one that delighted much in his own tales) charged, hoping to close the distance before it was too late. But too late it was, a burst of quick explosions rang out and echoed across the arena, as the ragged and broken body of the proud warrior fell. A quick match, but a telling one; not all had been aware that weapons were allowed, nor were all unwilling to use them.

More to come tomorrow maybe. We'll see how tired I am after work.

Edited by Moriatti, 01 December 2011 - 10:50 PM.

#16 Chikara Nadir

Chikara Nadir

Crisis from the Skies

• Admin
  • 13,561 posts
  • Antarctica

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

Summing up the battle between me and Dr. Tran: I beat up little boys. Alright, I can live with that!

#17 Selena

Selena

Odinsdottir

• Admin
  • 17,095 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

Aww, you're proud that the only people you can beat in combat are small children. <3

#18 Moriatti

Moriatti

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

I invite anyone to point out a falsehood in my write-ups, but contend that you will find none.

EDIT: Why is Twinrova beating Deadpool? Deadpool is pretty much explicitly strong against video-game type bosses.

Edited by Moriatti, 01 December 2011 - 11:55 PM.

#19 JRPomazon

JRPomazon

Store Greeter

• Moderators
  • 15,091 posts
  • United States

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:14 AM

Has anyone else been following Proto Man vs. Isaiah Mustafa? That has to be the closest match running currently.

#20 Moriatti

Moriatti

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

I'm glancing at it every now and then, worried for my man.
My
Proto
Man.

#21 Sir Turtlelot

Sir Turtlelot

Svartifeldr

• Members
  • 4,995 posts
  • Antarctica

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:40 AM

Mustafa has taken a slight lead. Even though I'm rooting for Protoman, I have to admit Mustafa is someone I would be okay with him losing to.

What's surprised me is that RDJ is actually tied with Lena. I knew he would put up a fight, but I was expecting this much of one.

#22 SL the Pyro

SL the Pyro

ANGELSANGELSANGELSANGELSANGELS...

• Members
  • 6,277 posts
  • Location:My workshop, making fanfiction, sprites and miniature weapons of mass destruction.

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:52 AM

Bloody hell, I only just now realized that this was happening. Damn. I would've nominated Smile (see avatar) if I hadn't been so inactive.

As an apology, I have fixed the tie problem between Selena and RDJ. All is now proceeding as it should.

Edited by SL the Pyro, 02 December 2011 - 03:02 AM.

#23 Ikiosho

Ikiosho

FINN YOU BUTTCHICKEN

• Members
  • 2,484 posts
  • Macedonia

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:13 AM

What did you do to my RDJ ;_;

#24 Sir Deimos

Sir Deimos

Harbinger of the Fall.

• Members
  • 10,065 posts
  • Swaziland

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

WHY ARE SO MANY ROUND ONE MATCHES SO CLOSE? This is a great tournament this year.

#25 wisp

wisp

Boobie Administrator

• Admin
  • 13,343 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

Sorry, Lena. I just have to say...

Goooo Robert Downey Jr! :wub:
Posted Image

Nothing personal, it's just... Robert Downey Jr. XD

#26 Veteran

Veteran

Nothing but problems, problems, problems.

• Admin
  • 10,558 posts
  • Falkland Islands

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

Nothing personal? This is the JRP tournament! Make it personal! :P

#27 canas is back

canas is back

The best dang dark magic user evah

• Members
  • 1,745 posts
  • NATO

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

Nothing personal? This is the JRP tournament! Make it personal! :P

YEAH WHERE'S THE BLOOD AND GORE

#28 wisp

wisp

Boobie Administrator

• Admin
  • 13,343 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

Fine, then. BOTS ARE SMELLY. ;d

#29 Selena

Selena

Odinsdottir

• Admin
  • 17,095 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

AT LEAST BOTS DON'T LIKE DOLLS. AND I COULD TOTALLY KICK HIS PANSY ACTOR ASS.

I am primarily concerned with organizing a big Chik vs. Lena grudge final. For great justice and catfighting.

#30 Sir Deimos

Sir Deimos

Harbinger of the Fall.

• Members
  • 10,065 posts
  • Swaziland

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

I... I love ya Lena... but I'm rooting for Robert Downey Jr also.... :(