Legends Alliance Forums

Photo

Early onset dementia

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Veteran

Veteran

Nothing but problems, problems, problems.

• Admin
  • 10,555 posts
  • Falkland Islands

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

I found out chatting with Leo in LOTRO that I had forgotten what stoichiometry is. I have a chemistry degree and I couldn't remember what it was!

This is a bad sign. I'm nearly 28 and I'm losing my mind! All of you younger than me, and evidently smarter than me, hurry up and invent some kind of cure!

:ahh:

Get to it! Go on, shoo!

#2 Emiko

Emiko

So real I don't need to fake it

• Members
  • 3,573 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

Don't feel bad, I don't even know what stoichiometry is...

and they say that as long as you know you are crazy then you are all right, it's when you don't realize it..that's when you should worry.

#3 JRPomazon

JRPomazon

Snake Eater

• Moderators
  • 15,082 posts
  • United States

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

What the hell kind of witch-speak are you teaching each other on LOTRO? :rage:

Edited by JRPomazon, 18 September 2011 - 05:04 PM.

#4 Showsni

Showsni

The Fallen

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • England

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

and they say that as long as you know you are crazy then you are all right, it's when you don't realize it..that's when you should worry.

So we should start to worry if we don't think we're crazy?

#5 Egann

Egann

The Right Stuff

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:46 PM

Either everybody's crazy and the world is sane, the world is crazy and everybody's sane, or everything is all sorts of bat-feces crazy.

I opt for the latter.

Oh, and Vet? It took me two whole weeks to remember how to do basic algebra for my physics class. You don't use it, you loose it.

#6 arunma

arunma

Physics and math maniac

• Moderators
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:56 PM

Honestly I don't think it's anything to worry about dude. I have a physics degree and I've forgotten most of my physics. Oh, I can do my research just fine, since I'm working on it every day. But put me in a thermodynamics class and I'll probably just crap out. When you major in science you're doing some pretty specialized stuff. I remember my research because I'm familiar with it. But since I haven't had to do any basic physics for awhile, I've forgotten all of it. But give me a couple weeks to study, and I could probably master the stuff real quick. I'm sure you could kick the shit out of stoichiometry if you took a few days to review it. I'm pretty sure that when I take my final oral before getting my PhD, I'll basically have to review all of undergrad physics, since any question is fair game on the oral.

Incidentally, people keep telling me that the sciency types are actually somewhat immune to Alzheimer's, since we use our brains regularly. Don't know if there's any truth to that. But I could believe that the brain rots from lack of use, which means we should be OK.

Oh, this probably won't make you feel any better. But I only made it to first semester o-chem, and even I knew that stoichiometry is how you can use molar ratios in chemical equations to get reaction yields. :P

Edited by arunma, 18 September 2011 - 11:58 PM.

#7 Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell

BSc (Hons) MSc

• Members
  • 6,413 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

Honestly I don't think it's anything to worry about dude. I have a physics degree and I've forgotten most of my physics. Oh, I can do my research just fine, since I'm working on it every day. But put me in a thermodynamics class and I'll probably just crap out. When you major in science you're doing some pretty specialized stuff. I remember my research because I'm familiar with it. But since I haven't had to do any basic physics for awhile, I've forgotten all of it. But give me a couple weeks to study, and I could probably master the stuff real quick. I'm sure you could kick the shit out of stoichiometry if you took a few days to review it. I'm pretty sure that when I take my final oral before getting my PhD, I'll basically have to review all of undergrad physics, since any question is fair game on the oral.

Incidentally, people keep telling me that the sciency types are actually somewhat immune to Alzheimer's, since we use our brains regularly. Don't know if there's any truth to that. But I could believe that the brain rots from lack of use, which means we should be OK.

Oh, this probably won't make you feel any better. But I only made it to first semester o-chem, and even I knew that stoichiometry is how you can use molar ratios in chemical equations to get reaction yields. :P

I've read another article that suggests that geniuses get Alzheimer's more easily because we burn our brains out more quickly. Also, another article which suggests that Alzheimer's is caused by chimerism for Down's syndrome in the brain.

#8 Emiko

Emiko

• Members
  • 3,573 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

So we should start to worry if we don't think we're crazy?

The secret is that we are all insane and just think that we are sane...when in reality you have to be crazy to act the way we do.... D:

#9 Leo Crimson

Leo Crimson

Dumpling-er

• Members
  • 12,306 posts
  • Canada

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

This thread clearly proves that Vet just plays too much LOTRO. :P

#10 arunma

arunma

Physics and math maniac

• Moderators
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

I've read another article that suggests that geniuses get Alzheimer's more easily because we burn our brains out more quickly. Also, another article which suggests that Alzheimer's is caused by chimerism for Down's syndrome in the brain.

Yeah, well, that just shows that the more you learn about science, the more you learn it's just a bunch of made-up crap intended to keep high schoolers from having too much free time. Unable to live with the knowledge that you just dedicated 6 years of grad school to learning magic, Alzheimer's becomes the bliss of ignorance. :)

#11 Emiko

Emiko

• Members
  • 3,573 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, well, that just shows that the more you learn about science, the more you learn it's just a bunch of made-up crap intended to keep high schoolers from having too much free time. Unable to live with the knowledge that you just dedicated 6 years of grad school to learning magic, Alzheimer's becomes the bliss of ignorance. :)

I thought it was to keep from getting alzheimer's you must keep your brains busy.

#12 arunma

arunma

Physics and math maniac

• Moderators
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

I thought it was to keep from getting alzheimer's you must keep your brains busy.

Apparently we have two competing studies that come to vastly different conclusions.

I'm tempted to buy into the idea that sciencey types are less susceptible to Alzheimer's, if only because there's no evidence I'm aware of that excessive thinking puts any stress on the brain. In other words, I don't know that exercising your brain a lot is going to have the same degrading effect as picking stuff up with your lower back too often. But as long as I bring up the analogy, people who use their muscles and lungs a lot don't damage those systems. They actually get stronger (that's what exercise does, right?). So I'm not sure that "burning out" your brain actually happens.

But hey, what do I know?

#13 Emiko

Emiko

• Members
  • 3,573 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:21 PM

Apparently we have two competing studies that come to vastly different conclusions.

I'm tempted to buy into the idea that sciencey types are less susceptible to Alzheimer's, if only because there's no evidence I'm aware of that excessive thinking puts any stress on the brain. In other words, I don't know that exercising your brain a lot is going to have the same degrading effect as picking stuff up with your lower back too often. But as long as I bring up the analogy, people who use their muscles and lungs a lot don't damage those systems. They actually get stronger (that's what exercise does, right?). So I'm not sure that "burning out" your brain actually happens.

But hey, what do I know?

Now I never said I doubted you, I always thought you were one of the smartest ones here so :P

but you have my brain moving...so I am gonna google it...while I am posting this reply

Another link to Alzheimer's is also high cholesterol according to one study.

Another study links a person's bilingual ability to keep Alzheimer's away.

On average, the speakers of multiple languages had been diagnosed four years later in their lives.

D: Now my grandfather suffered from Dementia, onset when he was in his late forties/early fifties. Growing up he worked on the railway, if my memory serves me correctly he was forced to quit when his symptoms started progressing. I don't have many memories of him before he got sick though...

#14 Showsni

Showsni

The Fallen

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • England

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

I heard using deodorants can give you Alzheimer's.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S135743109801209X

#15 Emiko

Emiko

• Members
  • 3,573 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

[acronym=
lmao you better start wearing some, otherwise you will chase everyone away!] Apparently everything will kill you eventually [/acronym]

#16 J-Roc

J-Roc

"Y'know what I'm sayin'?"

• Members
  • 3,409 posts
  • Canada

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

[acronym=
lmao you better start wearing some, otherwise you will chase everyone away!] Apparently everything will kill you eventually [/acronym]

I am so comfortable with that. Scary.