10 replies to this topic

#1 Fizzbit

Fizzbit

Ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar

• Members
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

http://www.ajc.com/n...d=cmg_cntnt_rss

This is really sad. Not because of how he wants to die, but because the doctors refuse to let him do it while he's still alive, despite that he's unable to "Live".

This man's obviously in a ton of pain and he knows there's no chance of recovery. He's set on what he wants to do, yet he's being told that he should suffer and die painfully rather than the way he wants to go out - with dignity.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to post this in Contro.

Edited by Fizzbit, 28 July 2010 - 06:06 PM.

#2 Oberon Storm

Oberon Storm

And so it begins.

• Members
  • 3,212 posts
  • United States

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

Without knowing how the ALS would factor in to the viability of his organs I can't say I disagree with the doctors. At least I wouldn't take the organs to give to someone else. For ALS research sure. Will they take the organs after assisted suicide? If so, why not just go to a state that allows assisted suicide and then once the deed is done harvest his organs?

#3 Fizzbit

Fizzbit

• Members
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

Without knowing how the ALS would factor in to the viability of his organs I can't say I disagree with the doctors. At least I wouldn't take the organs to give to someone else. For ALS research sure. Will they take the organs after assisted suicide? If so, why not just go to a state that allows assisted suicide and then once the deed is done harvest his organs?

The article states that doctors have tested all of his organs and have deemed them fit for donation, if not for research.

And yeah, they said that the only way they'd take the organs is when he's dead, so I'm sure that assisted suicide would mean he's ready for harvesting.

#4 Jasi

Jasi

Hooray for Zoidberg!

• Members
  • 2,348 posts
  • United States

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:43 AM

Dangit Fizzbit, that's TWO interesting topics you've posted in Contro that I can't read for a while. I'm on vacation in Europe right now and our internet connection sucks too bad to load news websites :(

#5 Oberon Storm

Oberon Storm

And so it begins.

• Members
  • 3,212 posts
  • United States

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

The article states that doctors have tested all of his organs and have deemed them fit for donation, if not for research.

It later states doctors do not know how organs are affected by ALS. That's pretty conflicting to me. But still, research definitely.

#6 arunma

arunma

Physics and math maniac

• Members
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

Yeah, I've got to agree with the doctors here. It's unethical to take organs from a living guy, even if he wants to die. The oath that doctors take prevents them from doing any harm, so this pretty much rules out causing someone's death. Right now this guy wants to die, but how do we know he won't change his mind later? I'm not going to go out on a limb and say that people who commit suicide are evil or going to hell or whatever. I can see why someone with a terminal disease might do this. But he's going way too far when he asks doctors to actually assist in his death.

#7 Fizzbit

Fizzbit

• Members
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

The oath that doctors take prevents them from doing any harm.

The dude's in agony. He knows he doesn't want to go out slowly and painfully like this. The doctors are doing more harm to him by feeding him medication to keep him alive and endure this illness than by letting him end his suffering.

I doubt that someone in this situation would want to change their mind.

#8 Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell

BSc (Hons) MSc

• Members
  • 6,486 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

It's a bit of a raw deal for the doctors. He's effectively asking them to murder him. Psychologically, the doctors lose either way.

#9 arunma

arunma

Physics and math maniac

• Members
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

The oath that doctors take prevents them from doing any harm.

The dude's in agony. He knows he doesn't want to go out slowly and painfully like this. The doctors are doing more harm to him by feeding him medication to keep him alive and endure this illness than by letting him end his suffering.

I doubt that someone in this situation would want to change their mind.

It's true that the guy is suffering his ass off. But keep in mind that doctors' primary responsibility isn't pain relief. It's preserving life. Yes, they'll relieve pain, but only insofar as it doesn't interfere with rule number one (i.e. the preserving life part). Now I'm not going to address whether it's right for someone to take the guy's life to end his pain, since that's a whole other beast of a debate. But the question here seems to be pretty specific: should doctors end this dude's life? I think the answer here is a pretty clear cut no, since terminating life is something that doctors just don't do, especially when the patient is capable of conscious thought.

If the guy were to shoot himself right outside a hospital, I guess that would eliminate the ethical dilemma for the doctors. But then we get to delve into the fun debate about euthanasia in general.

#10 Oberon Storm

Oberon Storm

And so it begins.

• Members
  • 3,212 posts
  • United States

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

Why not get into euthanasia? It's legal in three states. Appearantly there are some people that see any conflict with doctors helping him end his life with dignity. Why not just transport him to one of those states? Then debate over. He's dead. No doctor feels like they broke some over valued oath. Everyone is happy. Oh yeah and we get some shiny new organs to research on.

#11 Chikara Nadir

Chikara Nadir

Crisis from the Skies

• Admin
  • 13,566 posts
  • Antarctica

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:40 AM

Why not get into euthanasia? It's legal in three states. Appearantly there are some people that see any conflict with doctors helping him end his life with dignity. Why not just transport him to one of those states? Then debate over. He's dead. No doctor feels like they broke some over valued oath. Everyone is happy. Oh yeah and we get some shiny new organs to research on.

But then there's a whole new argument over whether doctors will take organs harvested from someone who died by assisted suicide (guilt by association), and for that matter trying to find a form of euthanasia that's both relatively pain-free AND will not damage his otherwise viable organs.

Honestly, that's about the best way I can see them going about it. Otherwise, in the eyes of the doctors, letting him suffer is still doing a lot less harm than assisting his death. Or, again, it's more likely about the politics of how quickly they'd get fired and otherwise ostracized for going along with it. Unfortunate, yes, but a doctor at Emory or any other major hospital who aids him in his wishes would be treated as a leper by the medical community. If not stripped of their credentials and given prison time, really. 3,000 miles to the west and it might be a possibility (Cali and Oregon specifically), but not in the deep South.

On an irrelevant note...hey, he's only an hour from here! And no, I'm not going over to his house to help him out, so don't even think about joking.

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name