8 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell

BSc (Hons) MSc

• Members
  • 6,486 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:54 AM

I recently bought Tales of the Abyss second-hand, but no one told me it didn't have an instruction manual. It isn't too much of a problem, though, as the game gives you instructions on how to play as you go through it. However, there is one thing that has stumped me with ToA.

You know when you're in a battle? One of your characters is losing life and you've got apple gels at your disposal. So you go the item menu, select apple gel and then you're asked to select the character you wish to use it on. Here's the problem. I can't! I've tried pressing left and/or right, up and/or down, the L and R shoulder buttons, even select. Nothing happens. The cursor just sits there on the character you're using like a deer in headlights. I have attempted to use the bottled potions that cure poison or status ailments yet, because I haven't yet come across any. But I fear that when I do, I won't be able to use them.

So, I was wondering, can anybody either point me out to where I can find a replacement manual online (I managed to find one for Kingdom Hearts at replacementdocs.com but they didn't have ToA) or tell me if that's perfectly normal?

#2 Showsni

Showsni

The Fallen

• Members
  • 13,386 posts
  • England

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

All I could find was:

BASIC BATTLE CONTROLS
Directional Buttons Move. Target. Free Run (Hold Down L2).
X Button Attack
Triangle Button Battle Menu
Square Button Defend
Circle Button Artes
L1 Button Decline
R2 Button Trigger Over Limit
R1 Button Choose Target
Start Button Pause
Left analog stick (L3 Button when pressed down) Move. Target. Free Run (Hold Down L2).
Right analog stick (R3 Button when pressed down) Arte Shortcut

Is that any good?

#3 Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell

BSc (Hons) MSc

• Members
  • 6,486 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:58 PM

Unfortunately, not. I don't really know what's going on.

When I manually select Tear and use her healing spell, I can select which character I want her to use it on during battle. But no matter what character I select, when I try to get them to use an item on another character, it won't let me do it.

#4 Chiaki

Chiaki

Quiet Little Pegasus

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
  • World

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

When I manually select Tear and use her healing spell, I can select which character I want her to use it on during battle. But no matter what character I select, when I try to get them to use an item on another character, it won't let me do it.

When you bring up the battle menu and select items, you can select which character to use the item. Only the selected character can use a gel.

I find I learn more about these games simply by playing and experimenting; instructions do very little. XD

#5 Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell

BSc (Hons) MSc

• Members
  • 6,486 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

When you bring up the battle menu and select items, you can select which character to use the item. Only the selected character can use a gel.

Well, that's what puzzles me, because I'm sure you could do otherwise in Tales of Symphonia. That's why I thought there must have been something wrong.

#6 Jaina

Jaina

Mononoke Hime

• Members
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:48 PM

Where did you get your second hand game from? I know from my work (Hollywood Video) we do special orders and the company can simply just special order you another copy with the instructions to have the manual with the game. If you bought from a garage sale or ebay or something you might be out of luck :s I know i Just attempted to special order this myself for my boyfriend for Christmas and I still haven't even gotten my copy since the game is like super rare

#7 Showsni

Showsni

The Fallen

• Members
  • 13,386 posts
  • England

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

Though it never really made sense in ToS that one character could use a gel to heal someone right over the other side of the screen. But then, it doesn't make sense that every character in a battle would have access to all the inventory anyway. What if the person who died is the one carrying all your life bottles?

#8 Chiaki

Chiaki

Quiet Little Pegasus

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
  • World

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

It wasn't so much that as it was why everyone has access to the items even when the group was split up that confused me the most. XD

Well, that's what puzzles me, because I'm sure you could do otherwise in Tales of Symphonia. That's why I thought there must have been something wrong.

Hm, you might be right.,..maybe they changed it after ToSymphonia? (I've never played ToPhantasia, so I don't know if it worked that way in that game or not). I just know it worked the same way in ToAbyss and ToVesperia.

#9 Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell

BSc (Hons) MSc

• Members
  • 6,486 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

Where did you get your second hand game from? I know from my work (Hollywood Video) we do special orders and the company can simply just special order you another copy with the instructions to have the manual with the game. If you bought from a garage sale or ebay or something you might be out of luck :s I know i Just attempted to special order this myself for my boyfriend for Christmas and I still haven't even gotten my copy since the game is like super rare

No, they didn't have it. I asked.

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name