#31 Twinrova

Twinrova

President Bird

• Moderators
  • 14,321 posts
  • Romania

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:52 AM

I do what I can.

And yeah I was kinda disappointed with the bot fly video too. Still pretty disturbing though, fuck.
The video where they make the dudes wear sleeves of those stinging ants is painful to watch though. Goddamn.

WHY DOES THIS SHIT EXIST?

#32 SnowsilverKat

SnowsilverKat

OMG ITS A SHINY PSYDUCK

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

That giant hornet video was amazing. Hymenopterans are hardcore. I love how 4/5 of the insects in that article are hymenopterans.

Though honestly, I think the scariest insect ever is the mosquito.

Edited by SnowsilverKat, 19 January 2008 - 09:00 PM.

#33 Twinrova

Twinrova

President Bird

• Moderators
  • 14,321 posts
  • Romania

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

I'm pretty sure I'd rather have mosquitos around than any of those. At least I can just swat mosquitos. 8[

#34 SnowsilverKat

SnowsilverKat

OMG ITS A SHINY PSYDUCK

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:31 PM

...But bees don't give you malaria.

#35 Twinrova

Twinrova

President Bird

• Moderators
  • 14,321 posts
  • Romania

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

I'll take my chances with the malaria. :P

Edited by Rova, 19 January 2008 - 10:33 PM.

#36 Kwicky Koala

Kwicky Koala

formerly Catterick

• Members
  • 2,011 posts
  • Commonwealth

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

Well, I learnt at school today that Napoleon's royal symbol was the bee. I also agree with the pro bee comments people have been making, they're one of my favourite insects.

Attached Files

#37 Fizzbit

Fizzbit

Ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar

• Members
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:50 AM

Africanized Honey Bee (Apis mellifera scutellata)

Posted Image

South and Central America, the American Southwest

Why you must fear it:
You know how you can spot one of these? You can't. There is no physical way to determine the difference between an Africanized bee and a common European bee. None whatsoever.

You can, however, easily tell the difference based on their behavior. Regular bees will give you about nine seconds of being too close to the hive before deciding you're a threat and then attacking you. So it's pretty easy to just walk past them without any screams. And if you do get them after you, they'll consider you to be 'chased off' after about 300 feet.

Posted Image

Africanized bees do not roll this way. They give you half a second of being too close before they decide it is time to completely fuck your shit up and empty the entire hive--tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of angry, angry bees. When you run, flailing and crying and soiling yourself while screaming "JESUS CHRIST I'M COVERED IN BEES," they will chase you for over half a mile.

Posted Image

More scary shit:
Africanized bees owe their existence to science. Warwick E. Kerr created them in Brazil during the 1950s by crossing a European bee with an African bee. He wanted a bee that could live in the jungle. He got a bee that swarms by the hundreds of millions, is insanely territorial, mindlessly aggressive, has killed anywhere from a few dozen to a few thousand people. And, can live in the jungle.

And after they escaped and swarmed northward, it turned out they were a-OK with deserts, too. They'll be in Montana by 2010.

Also, for you Botfly fanatics.

Posted Image

#38 Toast

Toast

Healer

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

You can, however, easily tell the difference based on their behavior. Regular bees will give you about nine seconds of being too close to the hive before deciding you're a threat and then attacking you. So it's pretty easy to just walk past them without any screams. And if you do get them after you, they'll consider you to be 'chased off' after about 300 feet.

Africanized bees do not roll this way. They give you half a second of being too close before they decide it is time to completely fuck your shit up and empty the entire hive--tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of angry, angry bees. When you run, flailing and crying and soiling yourself while screaming "JESUS CHRIST I'M COVERED IN BEES," they will chase you for over half a mile.

Just wanted to say that was fantastic.