• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hero of Winds

Hero of Winds

Quiet Riot

• ZL Staff
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:10 PM

Let's face it: LA was destined to die this past week. Even if Slash hadn't gotten his dirty hands over the forums, we would've lost everything anyways, considering the server's harddrives all died. LA would've been lost no matter whether regarding Slash showed up or not.

So wtf should we thank Slash for? Simple: he gave us a reason to come back. Stay with me on this. Imagine there was no hacking. September 13th (it was then, right?) the server's harddrives crap out, and LA is gone. Khuff makes new LA and we all come back to inhabit LA. Just like we're doing now. And that's it. It would've been a simple death and rebirth. It would be rebuilding LA for the sake of rebuilding LA. And while that's still a justification in itself, there wouldn't be anything behind it. It'd be like losing LA for nothing, because some server couldn't hold on.

But here's the thing with Slash: he hacked LA, he (ultimately) destroyed LA, he forced us to rebuild LA. But here we have a reason. Instead of just rebuilding our forum lives for the sake of reconstruction, we are rebuilding LA for the sake of rubbing it in Slash's face and showing him we can't be beat. Like the phoenix rising from the ashes, we can show how, no matter what little freak decides to get inside the system, WE will continue to survive and that we can't be destroyed by some hopeless hacking geek. It's not a declaration of survival to the rest of the world, it's a declaration of survival to ourselves.

So because of Slash, we had a reason to come back. Not just to rebuild everything and pick up where we left off, but in order to show that we can't be beat no matter what. A deadbeat harddrive simply tells us that we need to rebuild everything because of a computer glitch. A deadbeat hacker tells us that we need to rebuild everything because we CAN.

And if that didn't cheer anybody up, just keep this in mind: it was going to happen anyways. Even if Slash didn't exist, or some super-powerful firewall blocked his hacking, the harddrives would've still died, and LA would've still been lost. At least with a hacking, old LA's death became a reason to continue on.

*NOTE: By "us" I mostly refer to Khuffie, since he was the one who spent so much time on rebuilding his creation. Although I use "us" as a way to give a pat on the back to everybody who stayed faithful and came back, despite the clean slate.*

#2 Toan

Toan

feeesh

• Admin
  • 7,806 posts
  • Mars

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:14 PM

You have a point, but this "Slash" fellow still sucks.

Viva la LA!

#3 FŽanen

FŽanen

Timeless

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • United States

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:15 PM

I think if we weren't hacked there would be a backup of the old LA...probably from Sunday, in fact.

#4 Sir Deimos

Sir Deimos

Harbinger of the Fall.

• Members
  • 10,170 posts
  • Swaziland

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:17 PM

i see your point clearly, but given the chance i would still shed his blood ^_^

#5 Hero of Winds

Hero of Winds

Quiet Riot

• ZL Staff
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Feanen
I think if we weren't hacked there would be a backup of the old LA...probably from Sunday, in fact.

Nope, backup drive died too.

And I'm not saying stop calling Slash a bastard, because all hackers are bastards. Just that... well, read my first post. ;)

#6 FŽanen

FŽanen

Timeless

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • United States

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:19 PM

Well, Khuffie appears to have had this new LA backed up on his computer, which is why there are some posts on this one that are from before the server died. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had the old LA backed up too before the hacking.

#7 Sephrenia Katrov

Sephrenia Katrov

Muted Muse

• Members
  • 2,126 posts
  • South Korea

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:23 PM

Good point. Yey slash. Now lets burn him.

#8 Guest_The Shadow of Death_*

Guest_The Shadow of Death_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:23 PM

I guess I should semi give him my thanks for coming back... ;p

And btw, can someone link me to the thread/page where we found this out?
o_o

#9 Quistis

Quistis

Repressed Hippie

• Members
  • 7,162 posts
  • World

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:24 PM

Do you think that maybe the server died BECAUSE of the hacking? Is that possible?

#10 lord-of-shadow

lord-of-shadow

Max Nichols

• ZL Staff
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:26 PM

I fail to see how rebuilding would rub anything in this guy's face. We still lost everything, he still accomplished his goal.

#11 Hero of Winds

Hero of Winds

Quiet Riot

• ZL Staff
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Feanen
Well, Khuffie appears to have had this new LA backed up on his computer, which is why there are some posts on this one that are from before the server died. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had the old LA backed up too before the hacking.

I'm guessing Khuff made a backup for this LA because of all the crap he had to go through that day. After spending hours looking for backups, dumping LA, and rebuilding it, I imagine Khuff didn't want take any chances. Plus, if Khuff had a backup of the old LA, we would probably be using that instead of a new board.

#12 Alistia

Alistia

Warrior

• Banned
  • 649 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:27 PM

Way to be optimistic, los. :rolleyes:

#13 Sephrenia Katrov

Sephrenia Katrov

Muted Muse

• Members
  • 2,126 posts
  • South Korea

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:28 PM

But now we feel good about ourselves, right? XD No? Nevermind. We lose.

#14 Chikara Nadir

Chikara Nadir

Crisis from the Skies

• Admin
  • 13,563 posts
  • Antarctica

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:33 PM

His goal may have been to annoy us..but if anything it still did bring about a more revitalised, dedicated LA community.

#15 lord-of-shadow

lord-of-shadow

Max Nichols

• ZL Staff
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:35 PM

I don't feel revitalized... though that has more to do with the possibility that Realms of Hyrule, where the archived stuff actually mattered, is gone then anything to do with LA.

#16 Flint

Flint

Slacker

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Hero of Winds@Sep 15 2004, 04:10 PM
Let's face it: LA was destined to die this past week. Even if Slash hadn't gotten his dirty hands over the forums, we would've lost everything anyways, considering the server's harddrives all died. LA would've been lost no matter whether regarding Slash showed up or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ever consider the possibility that the server's HD died as a result of the hacking?

#17 Quistis

Quistis

Repressed Hippie

• Members
  • 7,162 posts
  • World

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Flint@Sep 15 2004, 01:37 PM
Ever consider the possibility that the server's HD died as a result of the hacking?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you not see me post this?

Quistis Posted Today, 01:24 PM
† Do you think that maybe the server died BECAUSE of the hacking? Is that possible?

#18 Hero of Winds

Hero of Winds

Quiet Riot

• ZL Staff
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Flint

Truthfully, no. Both Khuffie, the only one who knows what happened with the HDs, never alluded to the hacking and HD dying as being connected.

#19 Masamune

Masamune

not here but you never know

• Members
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:49 PM

Originally posted by lord-of-shadow@Sep 15 2004, 03:35 PM
I don't feel revitalized... though that has more to do with the possibility that Realms of Hyrule, where the archived stuff actually mattered, is gone then anything to do with LA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aye, same with the OG Forum back at my forums. A lot of good stories got lost there. But everyone seems to be dealing with it fine.

#20 Oberon Storm

Oberon Storm

Are you my mummy?

• Members
  • 3,191 posts
  • United States

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:51 PM

Originally posted by lord-of-shadow@Sep 15 2004, 03:26 PM
I fail to see how rebuilding would rub anything in this guy's face. We still lost everything, he still accomplished his goal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And what a goal it was. Hack LA. Delete everything. Pretend he had somehow "stuck it to the man" for whatever was done to him. Then continue to pretend that it couldn't be rebuilt (I really do equate this with making bodily threats in a chatroom) or that no one would come back. Good. I am glad he accomplished his goal. He has now proven just how much he needs to get laid.

#21 Quistis

Quistis

Repressed Hippie

• Members
  • 7,162 posts
  • World

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:51 PM

It doesn't mean it didn't happen. I, truthfully, don't see a reason why we should thank Slash. He hacked into LA, deleted everybody, and all the threads. We may have come back, but he might come back too.

#22 Flint

Flint

Slacker

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:53 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Hero of Winds+Sep 15 2004, 04:49 PM-->
QUOTE(Hero of Winds @ Sep 15 2004, 04:49 PM)

#23 Hero of Winds

Hero of Winds

Quiet Riot

• ZL Staff
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:06 PM

^There's no reason to think the two incidents are connected, unless Khuff says that there was foul play involved in the HD dying.

#24 Flint

Flint

Slacker

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:11 PM

There's perfect reason to think they are connected. Its too big of a coincidence. Hard drives don't just crash. For all we know, Khuff might have done something when trying to bring the forums back the first time.

#25 lord-of-shadow

lord-of-shadow

Max Nichols

• ZL Staff
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 05:04 PM

HoW requested that I lock this for him.